Skip to main content

All Companies Do Seven Things - Career Advice For Your Kids

Being the parent of three wonderful young men, all of whom decided to pursue college dreams, required that I prepare myself to answer questions about college selections and careers.  And, being a career HR practitioner and one whom, on occasion, people would seek out for advice, required that I have some sort of framework through which I would offer my thoughts.

I should also disclose that I come from an upstate New York, middle class family where my parents had six children in six years and my father could not afford a single day of unemployment. Not one.  So, he made decisions that always resulted in the safest, if not most lucrative path to maintenance of weekly income.  Meaning, my mental model and associated framework is, admittedly, conservative.

Here's what I told my sons:

"Sons, all companies do seven things.
  1. Design. They conjure up a product or service that they think may have a market. 
  2. Market. They test to see if there is a market for what they've designed.
  3. Fund. They determine how much capital they have and how much profit they can earn.
  4. Make. They figure out a way to make what they've designed.
  5. Sell. They go-to-market with what they've designed.
  6. Deliver. They go-to-customer with what they've designed.
  7. Service. They go-back-to-customer to fix problems or improve what they've designed.

And, if they are smart, they leverage the "go-back-to-customer" opportunity in item 7 to gather input that will be used all the way back in step 1 to start the process again.  

Why do I tell you this?  Because as you are making decisions about colleges and careers, ask yourself into which of these seven categories will your choices land you.  Since ALL COMPANIES do these seven things, if you acquire skills that make you relevant in ANY of the seven you'll ALWAYS be employable!"

So, what is the applicability of this advice?  I've found three interesting applications.
  • First, with my sons.  One is studying to be a Chef, so I guess I can feel that he listened to his Dad as he'll fall into item 4, for sure, and perhaps others if he opens his own restaurant.  The other two are studying International Relations.  Application:  Never use work advice on your kids!
  • Second, with employees seeking out a little career advice.  I can tell you with certainty that companies have an amazing willingness to create jobs that have nothing to do with any of the seven items.  Internally focused, operations oriented, more in service of the senior leader running the area than in the interests of serving customers and making money.  Honestly, I have had more than one nervous employee sitting in front of me as he realized that his work has no relation to any of the seven items. When companies need to cut headcount, where do you think they go first?  When they are looking to reward talent, where do you think they go first? When they are looking to grow careers, where ... ?  Application:  If your job has nothing to do with any of the seven, find a job that does.  If your skills don't allow you to get there, acquire new skills.
  • Lastly, in designing organizations.  When I was working for Cisco International and living in London, I was asked to participate in a body of work that would determine what level of capability Cisco would possess in the countries in which it was desiring to do business.  For example, if Cisco wanted to do business in Nigeria, would it need people who live in Nigeria to design its product or service?  What about to make, sell, deliver or service?  Would Cisco need to build all those capabilities in country, or could it build them regionally, or globally?  Application:  We were actually able to leverage this framework, something I created to help my sons, to build models that determined the level of capability we'd need to do business in the multitude of countries that looked so attractive to us at the time.  We called the work "Anatomy of a Country" and used it as our platform in seeking investment from the corporation.  

Cool stuff!


Paul E. DuCharme. October 2012









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You May Know More About Managing Millennials Than You Think!

New and not so new labels - Baby Boomer, Generation X, Millennial (aka GenY) - are being bantered around our workplaces today and challenging our thoughts about effective management practice.  Baby Boomer and Generation X leaders like you want to know how to lead the new entrants into your workforce and fear that your differences may introduce managerial challenges for which you are unprepared.   You may know more about managing your future workforce than you think! Let's start with a short review.  Baby Boomers were born between 1945 and 1964, or between the presidencies of FDR and Lyndon Johnson, and make up about 40% of our US workforce. Generation X'ers were born between 1965 and 1981 (Johnson to Ronald Reagan) and make up about 20% of the same workforce.  The remaining 40% is comprised of Millennials (aka GenY), who were born between 1982 and 1993 (Reagan to Bill Clinton). Dan Schawbel works intensively to help leaders understand how to lead Millennials.  Dan'

The Seven "C's" of Employee Engagement

We've all seen the studies that speak to the impact on productivity of employees who give their company their discretionary effort.  The person who pulls an all-nighter to be ready for a customer presentation.  Or the one who travels tirelessly to connect a company globally.  When our employees go "above and beyond" to achieve, we say they are engaged.  And we all want to know how to make more engaged employees. My experience teaches the there are seven "C's" of employee engagement.  I must credit IBM with the beginnings of this framework, as I learned most of this from my time with IBM in Chicago.  I've tested this informally ever since and have yet to find a framework that is more memorable and relevant. So, what are the seven "C's" of employee engagement?  Here goes: C ustomer C apability (I'll count two "C's"' here) C ompensation C areer C onnections C ommunity C ulture C ustomer C apability may

Did the Marketing VP Just Say "I Love Recruiting!"?

I've been asked a lot recently about my recruitment philosophy.  I'm sorry to say that the genesis of this question lies in the reality that many senior executives do not perceive that their in-house recruitment teams create value.  They see them as administrative and compliance arms of the HR department; junior people who manage too many open requisitions and are simply not instrumental in the identification, attraction and acquisition of talent. This question has re-surfaced for me a memory of a hiring VP at Cisco who said, "I've never once hired a candidate brought to me by our recruiting department." I also recall, from years ago, a hiring manager at IBM complimenting our recruiting organization for the manner in which the paperwork was processed. So, what does it take to get the Marketing VP or any hiring manager to say "I love our company's recruitment team!" ? My philosophy is that it takes a recruitment team that can teach them to fish,